Parents and families,
We want to make sure that you are informed about the resources in Los Angeles that are available to you during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Innovate is a people first organization and it is important to us that you have access to the resources and supplies needed to stay healthy and safe during these times.
Here’s what we know from the LA County Department of Public Health, United States Center for Disease Control and the Los Angeles Unified School District:
To date, Public Health has identified 94 cases; of these, 15 cases are likely due to community transmission. Two of the cases confirmed today(March 16th) were hospitalized. Cases are occurring across LA County, so everyone should be aware and practice social distancing.
Public Health has issued the following guidance during this time of increased spread:
- Avoid non-essential travel, public gatherings, and places where large groups of people congregate.
- Event organizers postpone or cancel non-essential gatherings of 50 or more until at least the end of March.Our Parent Leaders Institute and Top Schools Celebration have been postponed to the Fall.
- Limit gatherings of individuals who are at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19 (people older than 65, pregnant women, and those with chronic illness) to no more than 10 people.
- If you are mildly sick with a fever, stay home and call your doctor if you are concerned and/or your symptoms worsen. Individuals who are elderly, have underlying health conditions or pregnant should consider contacting their providers earlier when they are sick.
We are proud to offer our support. Innovate Public Schools partnered with other nonprofit organizations to offer financial support to families in need during this difficult time. To apply for financial help please visit https://www.onefamilyla.com/
The Jewish Free Loan Association is a financial first responder serving Los Angeles and Ventura counties. Jewish Free Loan’s interest-free lending activities are unique. CLICK HERE to APPLY.
Has your employment changed due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic? The California Employment Development Department (EDD) has implemented emergency unemployment insurance to protect workers who cannot go to work due to the social distance restriction. CLICK HERE to learn how you can get unemployment insurance and support your family during the COVID pandemic.
All LAUSD Schools are CLOSED
On Wednesday, March 18, 2020, LAUSD will open 60 grab and go centers for students to pick up two free meals (breakfast and lunch) from 7am-10am. Updated information on food center locations, instructional and parent resources can be found here.
This is a map of all resource centers throughout LAUSD. Please call the LAUSD hotline for more information on the resource centers (213) 443-1300
The following link provides a list of the Los Angeles area charter schools offering Grab-and-Go free meals to any child under the age of 18 years while local public school are closed in response to COVID-19: http://info.ccsa.org/la-
Comcast is offering FREE INTERNET for 90 Days for low-income families and students who need internet access for at-home learning. CLICK HERE FOR ACCESS TO FREE WIFI
While students are home during this time, here’s a list of online resources and activities to keep students active:
|Grade level/grado escolar||Subject/Materia||Website/pagina de web|
|Multiple/Varios||Various subjects/varias materias||https://www.khanacademy.org
|K-12||Most school subjects/ Todas las materias||https://www.ck12.org/browse/
|K-12||Most school subjects/ Todas las materias||https://www.neok12.com
Social Studies/Estudios Sociales
|Multiple/Varios||Touch typing/ mecanografía||https://www.typingclub.com
Para jugar/ adivinanzas
|K-12||Combines several resources in most school subjects/Combina recursos de distintas partes para varias materias||Wordville Reading Comprehension Short Stories for All Grades. Free Printable Reading Passages and Quiz Games
|K-8||History/historia||History for Kids – Fun Facts and Social Studies
|K-6||Most school subjects/ Todas las materias||Math
|8-adult||Links to resources/enlaces a recursos||http://ww1.e-learningforlife.org
Multiple subjects/muchas areas distintas utilizando los recursos de PBS
|PBS LearningMedia | Teaching Resources For Students And Teachers
|K-6||Most school subjects/ Todas las materias||Highlights Kids
Different areas depending on exhibition/varias areas dependen de la exhibición
|9-adult||Smithsonian Museums learning Labs/ Espacios de aprendizaje de los museos del Smithsonian||Search | Everything
|K-8||International Children’s Library multiple subjects and languages/Biblioteca Internacional para los Niños con materias multiples e idiomas||International Children’s Digital Library: ICDL|
|K-12||Database of free digital libraries from the LA Unified School District
Lista de Bibliotecas gratis del distrito escolar de Los Angeles
|Library – iLTSS / Free Internet Sites
Stock up on essential goods (water, non perishable goods, meat and toiletries) just in case we are advised to not leave our homes. As many have seen long lines and empty stores, please be assured there is no food storage.
- CCNP Food Distribution Thursdays at 9AM located at 501 S. Bixel Street Los Angeles, CA 90017
- Free Meals for students at The Dream Center, located at 2301 Bellevue Ave. Los Angeles 90026
- All Vallarta Supermarkets will open early for seniors 65+, pregnant women, and those disabled starting Wednesday, March 18th 7:00- 8:00am
- Everytable set up a helpline for food delivery. You can reach them at (323) 458-6487
- If you are a senior who needs food brought to your home, call.
- If your school district is unsure about how your students and families will eat, call.
- If you want to ensure your employees have access to healthy meals, call.
We are a community, and the safety and wellness of our families, students, and staff are at the forefront. Let’s stick together during these uncertain times to continue to support one another. The fight for education justice continues.
Your Innovate Los Angeles Team