Parents Taking Action
Are you concerned about the achievement gap in Redwood City?
Innovate Public Schools is working with parents in Redwood City who have come together to make sure that all students in our community receive an excellent public education. We hope you will join us for one of our upcoming meetings in Redwood City!
Learn more by contacting Lead Organizer Eva Orbuch at 650.562.6200 ext. 113.
We are currently supporting a group of parents in Redwood City who are pushing to bring new high-quality public school options into their community. Parent leaders have been meeting since 2012 to research options and do outreach to the community and to local elected leaders.
On March 18, 2014, more than 300 parents came out for a Community Action Forum, which was covered by the local media. Soon after, KIPP and Rocketship, which are both networks that currently operate charter public schools in the Bay Area, submitted petitions for new schools in Redwood City to open in fall 2015. More than 40 people testified in support of the new schools at a public hearing on May 14.
On June 25 2014, the Redwood City school board unanimously approved both the KIPP and Rocketship schools!
Learn more about schools in this area.
- Mercury News: Board approves opening of two Redwood City charter schools in 2015
- San Mateo Daily Journal: Plans for charter school bring concern, support: Two proposals in works for Redwood City; organizers’ goal is 2015 opening
- Mercury News: KIPP, Rocketship charter schools in Redwood City sought by parents
- San Mateo Daily Journal: Two charters seeking out Redwood City district: Parents express frustration with students’ performance in school
- Mercury News: Two groups apply to open charter schools in Redwood City district
- San Mateo Daily Journal: Charters stirring concerns about district capacity: Redwood City education officials to discuss where two new schools are to be housed
- San Mateo Daily Journal: Redwood City makes way for charters: Schools to be spread across district, but some still harbor reservations
- Mercury News: Redwood City School Board permits KIPP and Rocketship charters to open on district campuses this fall
Clifford Elementary School
Roy Cloud Elementary Schools
Fair Oaks Elementary School
Henry Ford Elementary School
Garfield Elementary School
John Gill Elementary School
Hawes Elementary School
Hoover Elementary School
John F. Kennedy Middle School
The Latest from the blog
When Los Angeles schools shifted to distance learning, parents waited for weeks to receive clarity from the school district. But, LAUSD and the United Teachers Union of Los Angeles routinely worked behind closed doors to establish the learning conditions and expectations for students and families.
On September 24th, a group of Black and Latino families, organized through Innovate Public Schools and Parent Revolution, filed a lawsuit against the Los Angeles Unified School District for not providing their kids with what they need for distance learning this fall....
As more people call for “defunding the police,” LA’s school board members have advanced several different proposals. Parent leaders with Innovate Public Schools recently weighed in on the direction they think the district should take. Defunding the police doesn’t...