Are you concerned about the educational future of the kids in our most vulnerable communities?
Are you a student, parent, or passionate individual looking for a job that allows you to get paid to do meaningful, social justice work?
Join our team at Innovate Public Schools in fighting for quality education in the Bay Area!
The crisis in public education in the Bay Area is a growing problem. Here in San Francisco, one of the wealthiest cities in the country and the world, less than 50% of African American and Latino students are proficient in the core subjects of English and Math. These outcomes continue to leave generations of students far behind and access to future wealth and economic opportunities out of reach.
Innovate Public Schools is working to be a part of the solution by collaborating with families to develop a new, high quality, free public school focused on meeting the needs of the community. We are hiring passionate individuals who are committed to being a part of a movement to change the outcomes for today’s youth. Join a team that is driven by the collective mission of championing quality education for all!
Innovate Public Schools leverages a three-pronged approach to improving local schools:
- We provide parents in high-need communities leadership training and coaching so they can effectively advocate for better schools and sustain community efforts over the long-term.
- We publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research to inform the public about which schools are excelling and which are failing and to highlight the most effective solutions.
- We work with educators from both school districts and charter schools to start excellent new public schools and redesign chronically low-performing schools through our Start-up Schools Fellowship.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills in person and on phone
- Advanced oral proficiency in Spanish required
- Ability to memorize a short script and adjust as needed to audience
- Open to learning and feedback
- Ability to meet reasonable number of dials per night/ door knocks per shift, to be determined
- Flexibility in work schedule and an ability to manage time independently
- Basic computer and smartphone skills
- Ability to work with Salesforce, voter data tracking programs
- Able to walk/stand for long periods of time (4-6 hrs/day)
- Punctuality – shifts have pre-set start times
- Positive attitude, detail-oriented, highly motivated and organized
- Ability to work respectfully with people of all cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds
- Passionate about the mission and core values of Innovate Public Schools
- Previous canvassing experience (doors, phones or both), either in a paid or unpaid capacity, is preferred but not required
- Have access to and use of a vehicle and have a valid driver’s license (mileage will be reimbursed)
- Have access to and use of a smart phone
- Engage with parents and community members about the quality of their local public schools and new public school options coming to their area within the San Francisco community by canvassing via:
- Door-knocking in neighborhoods
- Canvassing at grocery stores
- Tabling and approaching people to start conversations at public locations
- Engaging community members at events, and
- Signature gathering
- Invite parents to attend local informational meetings during door-to-door work and in follow up phone calls
- Identify potential parent leaders who are interested in organizing as volunteers with Innovate to improve their local schools and advocate for more high quality school options
- Potential non-partisan electoral outreach
- Build relationships with small-business owners, community-based organizations and other stakeholders in order to reach more parents
- Identify potential locations for canvassing
- Collect and manage data, review for accuracy and complete daily and weekly reporting on field activities
- Support logistics at parent meetings and events
- Report weekly to and coordinate with assigned manager.
Training, needed resources and tracking/data management tools will be provided.
– Based out of our San Francisco office.
– Approximately 20-30 hours/week, flexible depending on schedule.