Are you passionate about building a movement to make sure every student in the Bay Area has a world-class public school? Join us as our Field Manager / Canvassing Coordinatorand lead a new initiative to support the creation of more high-quality public schools in the Bay Area. This position would be based either in Innovate’s San Jose or San Francisco office, but will also require frequent travel throughout the Bay Area.
About Innovate Public Schools
Innovate Public Schools is a nonprofit organization focused on ensuring that all Bay Area students, including low-income students and students of color, receive an excellent education. We’re building a movement of families, educators, and business and elected leaders who together will make this vision a reality. We build the capacity of parents and educators to innovate and act together to create world-class public schools, and we publish easy-to-understand school quality data and research that highlights both problems and solutions.
Innovate Public Schools supports parents across the region to build powerful community organizations in their local communities that can successfully advocate for better schools and hold the system accountable to the needs of families and children. Innovate leads a network of grassroots community organizations led by passionate parent leaders from across the Bay Area.
Innovate is developing new, year-round canvassing programs to augment our existing community organizing work by directly contacting households, voters, and parents (door-to-door, person-to-person), at scale, within the communities in which we organize. The goals of these programs are to identify a broader audience of supporters in the geographic areas in which we organize, build community support for new school options through signature gathering, build lists of people concerned about public education, and engage local communities through Innovate’s communications and data tools geared to inspire parents to political action on public education.
As the Field Manager / Canvassing Coordinator, you will:
- Develop, staff, and manage this new, year-round paid staff canvassing program for school reform within the communities in which we organize (currently San Jose, Redwood City, East Palo Alto, and San Francisco).
- Hire and manage up to 12 paid, part-time canvassing staff, as well as occasional regional teams of volunteers.
- Work with Innovate’s community organizers to ensure these canvassing programs enhance Innovate’s community organizing work and broaden the impact of the organization’s campaigns.
- Execute successful signature gathering campaigns to support the development of additional, high quality public charter school options in underserved communities and support the establishment of adequate facilities for the new schools.
- Develop relationships with a broad base of constituents from targeted neighborhoods (including faith-based institutions, local government agencies, social service agencies, teachers and school leaders), and build their support for the reform efforts of Innovate’s affiliated parent organizations.
The Field Manager / Canvassing Coordinator will be based either in Innovate’s main office in San Jose or our office in San Francisco, and will also oversee canvassing work in San Jose, San Francisco and the Peninsula.
This position reports to the Vice President, Organizing.
This position requires working varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays. It requires constant use of independent judgment, self motivation, and capability of doing all the above duties with minimal supervision.
This is a full time, exempt position.
- Experience canvassing and/or signature gathering for a campaign or political/social reform organization
- Ability to speak and write Spanish fluently
- Experience in making strategic decisions about how and where to deploy people and resources
- Experience managing staff and volunteers, including part-time employee schedules and timesheets
- Strong interpersonal, written and public speaking skills
- Passion for Innovate’s mission and theory of change
- Experience working with low-income communities and communities of color
- Ability to travel frequently throughout San Jose, San Francisco, and the Peninsula
- Ability to work effectively across teams in a dynamic, learning environment
- Experience with and sensitivity to multicultural work environments
- A valid driver’s license, auto insurance and reliable vehicle to perform job duties
- Baccalaureate degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience using Salesforce to enter contact information and pull reports
- Experience in the field of community organizing and grassroots leadership development
- Experience working with charter schools
- Strong strategic thinking skills and an ability to analyze policies and institutions
- Understanding of the education and education reform landscape
- Academic or experiential knowledge related to building social capital and political power in low-income communities and multilingual communities
Work Environment / Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics and the physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while successfully performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by the person in this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Annual salary range begins at $60,000 and is dependent on the candidate’s experience.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and what you would bring to Innovate Public Schools.
Innovate Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer, and takes pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.